Fire season is officially here and for the coming months we will be in a potentially dangerous time of year when a fire can be started almost instantly thanks to hot weather and dry vegetation.
If you’re concerned about protecting you property follow these simple fire prevention tips to keep your property safe during fire season.
1. Design smart landscaping, using gravel walkways between sections of vegetation to create firebreaks. Choose plants that are high in moisture (like aloe) or fire-resistant (like French lavender); and avoid flammable trees like conifers. Keep grass short; trim dead branches; and remove unnecessary shrubs and thin trees.
2. Restrict open burning when it’s windy, dry, and hot.
3. Choose fire-resistant materials when it’s time for a new roof, deck, fence, or siding. For existing structures, apply a fire-retardant coating.
4. Clear debris from roofs & gutters, since dry leaves and branches are ready fuel for windblown embers.
5. Consider roof-mounted sprinkler systems, which may qualify for FEMA grants in your state.
6. Store combustible materials safely. Don’t keep items like gas containers where they could heat up or tip over. A cool, dark, ventilated storage area away from residential structures is ideal.
7. Establish communication procedures between staff and residents for imminent threats, and hold safety drills periodically.
8. Make sure you’re covered. If a home is at an elevated level of risk, property insurance companies may help with risk assessment and wildfire prevention efforts. Make sure that tenants have renters insurance for what’s inside their homes, too.
Get Property Management Here
For professional property management in the Houston Texas area contact Vestpro Residential Services today by calling us at (832) 498-0016 or click here to connect with us online.